ORCHESTRA CONCERT - BRASÍLIA
A few participants of the São Paulo Contemporary Composers Festival will receive a performance of their orchestral work with the Brazilian National Theatre Claudio Santoro Symphony Orchestra. The orchestra concert will take place in Brasília, Brazil, conducted by Cláudio Cohen.
To be considered for the Orchestral Performance:
• Participants will be asked to submit an orchestral work after they have been admitted to the program
• The work should not exceed seven minutes in length
• Selected participants will be notified in August by the latest
• Travel expenses (São Paulo - Brasília) will be covered by SPCCF
• The selected composers are responsible for submitting score and parts as PDF files
• Each participant will receive a recording of the premieres
• Instrumentation is 2222, 4331, timp perc, hp, str (composers must ask about extra instruments and doublings)
ORQUESTRA SINFÔNICA DO TEATRO NACIONAL CLAUDIO SANTORO
The orchestra was officially inaugurated in early 1980 at the Teatro Nacional de Brasília (National Theatre of Brasília), following a successful concert of the Villa-Lobos hall, which happened on May 6th, 1979, under the baton of the conductor Claudio Santoro. The program consisted of works by Heitor Villa-Lobos.
After the passing of Claudio Santoro, in 1989, the theatre was renamed as an homage to this great Brazilian composer. The orchestra would then be renamed Orquestra Sinfônica do Teatro Nacional Claudio Santoro (Brazilian National Theatre Claudio Santoro Symphony).
History of directors:
• Claudio Santoro
• Emílio de César
• Silvio Barbato
• Julio Medaglia
• Elena Herrera
• Silvio Barbato
• Ira Levin
• Elena Herrera
• Cláudio Cohen (current)
Most important guest conductors include: Eleazar de Carvalho, Enrique Batiz, Eugene Kohne, Isaac Karabtchevsky, John Neschling, Adriano Machado, Mats Liljefors, Miguel Graça Moura, Osvaldo Colarusso, Roberto Tibiriçá, Jorge Antunes, Rudolfo Bonucci, and João Carlos Martins.
A striking city for its modern architecture and innovative urban planning, the federal capital of Brazil is world renowned as a place to be visited. The urban planning was conceived by Lúcio Costa and the city has many buildings by the famous architect Oscar Niemeyer. Brasília is a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to its modernist architecture and uniquely artistic urban planning.
Conductor and Violinist
Honorary Citizen of Brasília, Cláudio Cohen is a Conductor and Violinist, and has been performing frequently in Brazil and abroad as Conductor; Soloist; and chamber music player.
He is the Principal Conductor, Music Director and one of the founders of the Symphony Orchestra of the National Theatre of Brazil OSTNCS, where he was the Spalla for many years.
He is one of the most demanded conductors of Brazil, performing every year with the main Orchestras and participating in the main Music Festivals of Brazil and abroad.
Former Conductor and Musical Director of the Brasília Philharmonic Orchestra 2006/ 2010.
Member of the Brazilian Academy of Arts and Letters.
Former member of the National Commitee for Cultural Projects.
As a Violinist of the Brasília String Quartet, he has been touring in Brazil, Asia, Americas and Europe;
and recorded 9 CDs.
Honours and Awards
Received many awards, including:
Sharp Prize - Best CD;
IX Carlos Gomes Prize;
OK of Culture Prize;
Excellence ALMUB Prize;
and the Accorde Prize.
TIM Music Prize;
VII Carlos Gomes Music Prize.
Laureated as one of the most proeminent personalities of Brasília - 2012;
Ordem do Mérito de Brasília no Grau de Oficial;
Ordem do Mérito Cultural do Distrito Federal no Grau de Comendador;
Ordem do Mérito Judiciário do Trabalho em Grau de Comendador;
Merito Comercial da Associacao comercial do DF;
Trofeu Stella de Prata 2011 da BPW;
Diploma Deferencia Policial Federal;
Merito Expressão Nacional da Academia Internacional de Cultura;
Medalha do Pacificador (Exército Brasileiro);
Mérito Cultural Cláudio Santoro.
Maestro Claudio Cohen has been conducting several orchestras as;
· Sinfônica de Roma (Italy);
. Orchestra Filarmonica Della Calabria (Italy)
· Sinfônica de Santa Fe (Argentina);
. Orquestra Sinfônica de Entre Rios (Argentina)
· Orquestra de Câmara de Cascais e Oeiras (Portugal);
· Euro Symphony SFK (Austria);
· Orquestra Metropolitana de Lisboa (Portugal);
· Orquestra Clássica do Norte (Portugal);
· Vogtland Philarmonie Orchestra (Germany);
· Orquestra Sinfônica da UANL (Mexico);
· Orquestra Sinfônica do Estado do México (Mexico);
· Orquestra Sinfônica de la Província de Bari (Italy);
· Osterreischiche Symphoniker Linz (Austria);
· Vojvodina Philharmonie Orchestra (Serbia);
· Orquestra Sinfônica de Cuenca (Ecuador);
· Gyor Philharmonic Orchestra (Hungry);
· Bergische Symphoniker – (Germany);
· Orquestra Sinfônica de Michoacán (Mexico);
· North Czech Philharmonic Teplice (Czech Republic);
· Sociedade de Concertos de Barcelona (Spain);
· Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra (Qatar);
· Bachianas Filarmônica (Brazil);
· Orquestra Sinfônica de Porto Alegre (Brazil);
· Orquestra Sinfônica do Paraná (Brazil);
· Sinfônica de Sergipe (Brazil);
· Filarmônica do Espírito Santo (Brazil);
· Orquestra de Câmara do Amazonas (Brazil);
· Orquestra Sinfônica de Minas Gerais (Brazil);
· Estadual de Londrina (Brazil);
· Sinfônica Paulista (Brazil).
Violin Faculty at the Brasília University teacher.
Orchestral Conductor Mentors: Silvio Barbato, Emílio De César, Roberto Montenegro, Carmine Pinto, Miguel Graça Moura, Christian Ewald, and others.
striking city for its modern architecture and innovative urban planning, the federal capital of Brazil is world renowned as a place to be visited. The urban planning was conceived by Lúcio Costa and the city has many buildings by the famous architect Oscar Niemeyer. Brasília is a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to its modernist architecture and uniquely artistic urban planning.